Close

The "Best" bullpup rifle available?

This is a discussion on The "Best" bullpup rifle available? within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; (Please add pics of your choice, it's not the same without them) After fondling a friends Enfield L85a1 with ACOG (seen below), it really re-struck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar

The "Best" bullpup rifle available?

(Please add pics of your choice, it's not the same without them)

After fondling a friends Enfield L85a1 with ACOG (seen below), it really re-struck my bullpup fantasy and I spent a good 2 hours earlier this evening looking at various bull pup rifles. I started thinking about you guys and what your personal opinions are on bull pups and what you would take to combat with you if the time came.

(Enfield L85A1 bullpup rifle)

The royal military uses this as their standard rifle (like we use the M16). I always think about what the USA would be using as a standard if we weren't so damn cheap and so waist deep with the M16. I always thought it was really damn cool that England uses such a cool rifle.

I know some aren't fans of Bullpups or the L85, mostly due to preference or whatever reason they have, one of the major concerns is if a cartridge explodes and goes kaboom, it's right near your face, but this rarely happens especially if the rifle and ammo are good to begin with, and most bull pups that are available today are pretty good, not many saturday night specials available in the bull pup world. heheh

If I had to choose a rifle caliber bull pup to use in the heat of battle it would def be an L85 A2, which is basically the same as seen above with some minor up to date changes. After the L85, my sights would fall on the classic bullpup called the Styer AUG, which is supposed to be the bull pup equivalent of the AK-47 in terms of reliability, I don't know how truthful that is, but Ive heard it being it described that way many times.

There are MANY, MANY, MANY bull pup rifles out there, from the sniper rifle type to the pistol caliber sub machine gun type, but the ones I've chosen are in the middle ground of both. If I had to choose a long distance rifle for my #1 bull pup, there would be no hesitation in choosing this:
    Walther WA2000

This rifle was designed for the use of special forces snipers in the 70's and was a revolutionary design back then and helped the world of bull pups excel forward. This rifle was used in a James Bond film and is known by the great sniper of the world. It's a rare rifle so not that many people know what it is as it's design was kept "secret" for some time so that it would have the edge on enemy snipers. It's bull pup design allowed it to have a really long barrel without having to have a really long gun, and was balanced much better then conventional rifles so that it could be used in various situations. It was designed for the uber great caliber known as .300 WIN MAG, which is still my fav long distance round. If you've ever fired it, you'd know why.

Actually, if I had the choice of any bull pup in the world, from SMG's to sniper rifles, and everything in between, I'd choose the Walther WA2000 without hesitation. They are so rare and sought after that a WA2000 in good condition will fetch a cool $70,000 USD! If I was a millionaire and had money to spend, I would def own one and invite you all over to shoot it.

Some people think the WA2000 is the ugliest rifle on the planet, but I think it's absolutely sexy, and really couldn't be any better looking, but that's my opinion and I don't exactly see eye to eye with most others in terms of what's good looking and what isn't. (I think Glocks are very attractive firearms, so does my wife)

The very adjustable rifle with it's built-in bi-pod

We have a very diverse group of folks here, from the old school to the new school, I'm curious to see what you fancy in the world of bull pups, anything from their SMGs to their full out sniper variants. Please chime in and share your opinions with us, and PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ADD PHOTOS TO YOUR POST! It's just not the same without photos, so please add them.
    Last edited by brucelee; 09-11-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Assuming it still fits the bill of bull pup, I'd have to go with the FN P90. I've always liked that gun. No pics at the moment though since I'm using the fancy thinking box at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    Assuming it still fits the bill of bull pup, I'd have to go with the FN P90. I've always liked that gun. No pics at the moment though since I'm using the fancy thinking box at work.

The P90 is def an interesting gun, but it's caliber is the major draw back... Expensive and not that effective. I know people like to think that they are extremely deadly, but from what I've seen and heard, they are not all that great and tend to put a very small hole right through you. I think it was brokenarrow who told me about some gang member who was shot through the neck and lived to tell about it... it just put a TINY hole right through it. Not to mention the cost and availability of it. :-/

Here are some pics:

Complete with all the goodies including a spent case catcher

Although it has its downfalls, the P90 def has it's upsides and is a very effective bully.

I wasn't going for the effectiveness standpoint since I really don't care for the bull pup design, I just like the cool factor of the P90. If it were something I absolutely HAD to fight with, my nod goes to the AUG. In all honesty though, give me an M1A and I'm a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    I wasn't going for the effectiveness standpoint since I really don't care for the bull pup design, I just like the cool factor of the P90. If it were something I absolutely HAD to fight with, my nod goes to the AUG. In all honesty though, give me an M1A and I'm a happy man.

What about a bull pup M1A? Can we say 30" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    I don't know why but I've always found reloading a bull pup to be a little awkward. To be fair though, I've only fired one a couple of times. o_o

FS2000?

I've handled a buddies bullpup AR (I think it was called an M17S), and the thing felt way heavier than my standard AR-15/M16A1 build.
    Last edited by ServoCrow; 09-11-2009 at 09:25 AM.

I would say that the AUG is by far the most successful as it is the only Bullpup to be a relative commercial success. Australia, Ireland, and Austria use it as their standard rifle.

However ,I sorta like the French FAMAS.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Most bullpups are military-only items that haven't had much success in the civilian markets. But for purely military use, my two favorites would be the P90 and Tavor.

The P90 is compact and light, which IMHO offsets any drawbacks to the 5.7 ammo.

The Tavor is just a darn nice infantry rifle. The fire controls are fully ambidextrous. You can reconfigure it to eject to either side with just a field strip. Takes STANAG mags. No complaints from operators that I'm aware of.

Indian soldier w/ Tavor in Kashmir.

Micro Tavor with Meprolight reflex sight. Looks like the kosher version of a Trijicon RX30.
    Last edited by kartoffel; 09-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    M1A Bullpup stocks are available, not cheap though:

http://www.shortrifles.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads