Close

Talk me out of this: Mannlicher 'Tactical Elite' or Steyr 'Scout'

This is a discussion on Talk me out of this: Mannlicher 'Tactical Elite' or Steyr 'Scout' within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; You guys know I've long been a pistoleer. Well I decided last year that this year would be the year of Chaaannnnggge [/Obama]. As such ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Talk me out of this: Mannlicher 'Tactical Elite' or Steyr 'Scout'

You guys know I've long been a pistoleer.

Well I decided last year that this year would be the year of Chaaannnnggge [/Obama].
    As such I've been heavily researching all manner of long gun options and usages that are interesting to me and I narrowed down the very wide world of choices and models and options down to just one item and usage.

My usage and desire is for a general purpose rifle that can;

*Do the job toward hunting of game above varmint and up to intermediate level large;
    * Support .308 caliber ammunition which all things being relative is inexpensive and plentiful throughout America;
    * Is not ungainly to handle, carry, or wield and can do so with comfort;
    * Is built Tonka tough.
    I am not abusive of my tools but at the same time I have no interest in finicky or difficult to maintain/employ;
    * Is all weather capable. Wet, dry, cold temps, whatever;
    * Is not difficult to shoot with accuracy;
    * Has out the box inherent accuracy. I'm not interested in buying something akin to a say a Ruger 10/122 that to get real and purposeful accuracy involves pretty much rebuilding the thing from the receiver up to get what you want at a co$t. I don't have time, patience, desire, nor budget for that.
    * Long term market value.
    It's got to be of high value and be capable to hold it's value or depreciate at a slow degree;
    * Be lifetime capable.
    I do not like nor have interest in buying the same thing over and over. Also I don't have desire to keep multiples of tools toward multiples of specific activities if I can score a single tool that is good to great at multiple applications.

Along with a few other items I really like about this thing such as it's safety systems, built in bipod (which saves me coin), and that it was designed with human interface in mind rather than sticking to tradition. Further used models of these that are even 10 yrs. old are currently selling for same or more than when they were new (!).

My choice for a general purpose all around hunting rifle and intermediate to long distance hi power target gun are the following, all chambered in .308:

* Steyr 'Elite' aka 'Scout Tactical Elite' w/o optic & mounts (Under their LEO & Military group)

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=30

* Mannlicher 'Scout' base w/ Mannox (matte black) surface treatment w/o optic & mounts

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=8

* Mannlicher 'Scout' Jeff Cooper Package includes Mannox surface treatment and optic & mounts

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=228

The Elite comes with a full length top mount Pic rail and does not include the built in peep sights that the "Hunting" oriented Scout variants does standard. I'm okay with that and actually prefer it as a full Pic rail allows me greater functionality and options including securing my own BUIS of preference. Also the stock is adjustable which is a plus for me.
    It does though retail for slightly more than the base Scout though, and it weighs 3lbs. additional.

The base Scout is lightweight, 3" shorter in overall length, and has a good built in retractable BUIS which saves one money on the front end and space along the partial length Pic rail.
    Being low cost it's a boon and I can secure the same scope direct from Leupold that the Jeff Cooper Package comes with via my membership discount with the IHEA against my status as an instructor.

Additional pics...

Mannlicher 'Tactical Elite' w/Night Force optics

Steyr 'Scout'

Videos...
    Steyr 'Scout' product demo (chambered in .223 though) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNYjjLPVQdk
    Steyr 'Scout' Jeff Cooper edition (chambered in .30 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNYjjLPVQdk

Opinions and counterpoint for and against are welcomed.
    My budget for this project is to spend no more than $2K TTL.

I've recently located a dealer who indicates he can get hold of either model I desire from a distributor and has contacted Steyr to see if they will ship dealer direct to save me further coin. I'll have a mandatory FFL transfer fee to absorb on his side and then again to my local here in MA which adds ~ $60 to the project total.

Thanks ahead of time for the assist.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; 06-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.

These are really awesome guns. However, I know that the Howa 1500 is a great gun as well. The Howa would be cheaper, and is a great manufacturer. Weatherby contracts out to them.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    great rifle, that bipod looks a little chincy though.

Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about guns. Gun-Nut's Avatar
    Janq,
    I'm not talking you out of any long gun you want. By the time you're posting it one here, I know you've done your fair share of research and it will most likely meet those needs.

Plus, everyone needs some long guns in their collection.

Nothing wrong with the Stery Scout AT ALL! except for the "Man-Licker" thang ;P

I got nothing to talk you out of it...

I'm a huge Steyr fan in general... but I would be remiss in not suggesting
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=17

The Springfield M25 White Feather

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Lowend,

The M25 runs $4.7K retail.
    I've reviewed the whole of the SA M* line though they are without a doubt good product.
    But the Steyr and ManLicker lineup offer better value inclusive of lower price for same or greater parts sum and final as tested out the box accuracy result, per reviews.

My second/third choice behind these though is either the SA M1A Loaded which can be had for ~$1.6K street or the SA Scout Squad at ~1.4K street.
    Problem is though neither is rated nearly as out the box accurate as the Scout never mind the Tactical Elite.

Upside with SA though is that they are semi-auto and magazines as well as parts are not difficult to find pretty much anywhere.
    But to it's credit the Scout and TE are reportedly over built in pretty much every way though with simplified engineering so as to not be finicky or fragile and have long lasting durability.

It's been a tough deal to review especially as I started out at the Remington 700P model and price point only to find myself all the way over and up here.
    But again I figure this will be my first and last such purchase in this area of concern so... :\

Orca - I stared at your avatar for like 3 minutes straight as htough I were under hypnosis, or the whammy.

Thanks though guys.
    I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something on this.
    I'm ramped up to dump a bunch of coin on guns, and a reloading station, very soon like in the next few months. Plus I'm submitting a request toward a Fed tax stamp against an SBS.
    Recall that thread toward the coach gun idea I had for HD. Well for the same money +$200 one can get into a factory SBS. Add another ~$150 and you've got a length of choice secondary barrel for <fill in the blank> purposes.
    I'm now thinking that is a better maximization of coin and long term value. It just took me a minute to get my mind around that damn tax stamp fee of $200. :grr:

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; 06-27-2008 at 10:34 PM.

I do believe the late Colonel Cooper had something to do with the Steyr Scout design or testing.

I would get one, but I would also get a Howa Axiom. However the Howa would need an additional Harris or Versapod.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Yeah, that stupid 200 dollar tax stamp is a turn off for alot of people.

Also, never ask a gun forum to talk you out of a gun .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads