Close

9 MM 1911's ??

This is a discussion on 9 MM 1911's ?? within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Does anyone own and shoot one? I'm toying with the idea of getting one in the future, but I've heard they can be somewhat temperamental ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 MM 1911's ??

9 MM 1911's ??

Does anyone own and shoot one? I'm toying with the idea of getting one in the future, but I've heard they can be somewhat temperamental as far as ammo, and reliable functioning. Also I've heard they can be finicky with magazines. Springfield Armory makes a really nice Stainless model, and Rock Island Armory also makes them in a couple of different configurations.

The ammo cost is a big plus with them. For someone who really enjoys shooting a 1911, you can do a lot more of it in 9 MM, than with .45 ACP. It is also substantially cheaper to handload for. I've heard nothing but good about the Rock Island guns. Everyone I've talked to who owns one has nothing but praise for both the quality, as well as the functionability of them. Some people shy away from them because they are made in the Philippines, but many of the current line of the Springfield 1911's are made in Brazil by Imbel.

Armscor who manufacturers the Rock Island Armory line is known as one of the top firearms manufacturers in the world. I have also heard that the Philippine Army is outfitted with 1911's built by Armscor. They sure as hell represent a fantastic value for the money. Most are priced in the high $300.00 range for the standard Mil-Spec version, to the mid $400.00 price point for the Tactical Models that have the goodies like a skeletonized hammer, and Novak sights.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone on the board has some 9 MM 1911 experience they could pass along, good or bad. Bill T.

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    You know, I'd love to have a RELIABLE 9mm 1911, and you know who was all about those is Janq... Lets see if we can get him to chime in.
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

9mm 1911's used to be the big thing in the movie industry, because .45acp blanks either had trouble cycling or simply weren't available.

For instance, the chrome 1911 held by Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction was a Star Model B.

From what I've learned, the biggest hurdle is the magazine. Unless it's been designed correctly to accommodate the 9mm case taper (not just a modified 45 follower) then you'll likely have feeding issues.

I've got a Springfield EMP and it's awesome
    BUT - it's designed around the 9mm round... not your typical 1911

I did notice this bad MF'r
    Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

The only designed around the 9mm it's had is that it's magazine is the proper length. Every other dimension in it (in the one I've played with) was standard 1911.

edit: It also chokes feeding our (admittedly crappy) HP reloads we use here.
    Last edited by einzelherz; 08-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.

So if you shoot only Wilson Combat Magazines you should be in good shape, right? Bill T.

I suppose, as long as you're not using an EMP, or any other shortened for 9mm based platforms.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    I've also got a Springfield EMP 9mm and it's a great little blaster, though due to the recent lack of use of the thing, I'm toying with the idea of parting with it.

That aside, it's reliable, accurate, and really easy to shoot and carry.

Well, I just picked up this Springfield 9 MM Target Model last week, and it's a beautiful pistol. I'm hoping to get out early next week and light it up. The fit and finish on this gun is excellent, and the sights are bold, sharp, and easy to acquire. The place I bought it from also has a range, and they told me they've had one as a range rental gun for a long time and they haven't had a single problem with it. And it sees thousands of rounds a year. Good to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads