Gun Forums banner

New to Glocks, First Impression

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cj02unc 
#1 · (Edited)
Having been a 1911/Sig Sauer guy for a while, I decided that I'd start looking at Glocks, specificially the Glock 34. I'd never really cared for the grip angle on them, and so I hadn't done a lot of reading on them. After handling a few more of them that belong to friends, and deciding I could stand the angle I decided to take the plunge.

I'd been wanting a 9mm pistol with a good reputation, and something that I could look at getting into IDPA this year with. I also wanted a 9mm as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than my .357SIG to shoot for fun. I have a connection that was able to get me a deal on a new 34 for ~480.00 + tax. My girlfriend took it upon herself to buy it for me for Valentines Day, so that settled things.

I got the gun home Saturday and the first thing I had to do was take it apart. Takedown is caveman simple, something it shares with my Sig 229. After getting it apart, I'm surprised by how simple the gun is. The one thing that took me by surprise that I hadn't known about beforehand was the plastic recoil guide rod. That just seems alien to me, coming from my own personal experience. Still, if it works then it works.

The trigger, while not 1911 smooth, wasn't bad at all. The size of this thing is impressive, and I have already been kicking around the idea of a 17L slide/barrel assembly (damn you and your anger management tool Kelly ;) ).
I'm on the fence about the mag release, but I'll stick with this one for the time being. My major complaint about the gun is the fact that there is very little inherent grip with sweaty palms, but a Hogue gripsleeve took care of that. I went with the gripsleeve because it also has some raised handswells on the sides that help fill the grip out in my hand. It's extremely comfortable to hold now. I may still send it out for the grip treatment at some point, but for now I'll give this a try.

My second complaint is the stock sights. I'm just not liking the stock Glock sights, something I've seen echoed on a number of other places. I'll probably be going with a set of Heine or Trijicon sights soon.

All that being said, it shoots wonderfully. It's an adjustment from my Sig or Kimbers, but it's a riot at the range. I'd forgotten how much fun 9mm is to shoot. 3 17 round mags make quick work of a box of ammo. That's one more thing I liked about the Glock, the fact that they include 3 mags, a loader, a cleaning brush and the spent test cases with each gun. I just thought that was a nice touch.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with this Valentines Day present. :shoot:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.