Close

I just took the plunge

This is a discussion on I just took the plunge within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Tonight I took the plunge on a Smith and Wesson 99QA. It's Smith's identical cousin to the Walther P99QA. The frame on the SW99QA is ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar

I just took the plunge

Tonight I took the plunge on a Smith and Wesson 99QA. It's Smith's identical cousin to the Walther P99QA. The frame on the SW99QA is manufactured in Germany by Walther and bears the Walther banner on the side. The slide and barrel are manufactured by Smith here in the states and bear S&W roll marks. Mechanically the SW99 is identical to its Walther cousin.

I originally wanted to get the Walther P99AS, but decided to go with a P99QA so that I would have a constant trigger. The QA trigger on the P99 is basically the same as the trigger on the standard Springfield XD and the Glock pistols, short reset double action, it's also analogous to the Sig DAK trigger or the HK LEM trigger.

Anyway, I was sold on the Smith 99 for a few reasons, one being that it is mechanically identical to the Walther P99, another being that the gun is incredibly comfortable to hold, Glock could really learn a thing or two about ergonomics from the Walther design, and third being that the Smith and Wesson 99 is the currently issued duty pistol for the Wilmington Police Department here in DE, and as I understand it, they have been quite pleased with them, and last but not least, the gun came with factory Trijicon night sights mounted.

It cost me just under five bills out the door new in box and was about a buck fifty and many months of waiting under what the Walther P99QA would have been. Assuming the gun runs problem free, it will replace my Glock 23 as a summer carry gun, it may have to duke it out with my Colt CCO, however as I think I'll have a good feel for that gun by the time the warm weather rolls around.

Just FYI - I think there is a recall on those right now

Quote Originally Posted by Lowend
    Just FYI - I think there is a recall on those right now
    Great...Oh, well if there is, it'll be another gun company's CS that I get to experience. I have nothing but great things to say about Springfield Armory's customer service from when they took my Loaded 1911 for repairs.

I just hopped on S&W's web site and the only safety recalls that appear to be current are for the PPK and PPK/S and i-bolt series rifles. A site search renders the same result with the only additional hit being for the SW1911 and something relating to the Swartz firing pin block thereon.

Good luck with it. The S&W 99 series has been hit or miss on reviews. Several departments canceled orders for them after having issues with the 40 S&W chambered guns.

I have seen some that have had their slides hard chromed, very nice looking guns.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    Can you post pics of the two pistols side by side so we can see a comparison on how they look together?

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    Good luck with it. The S&W 99 series has been hit or miss on reviews. Several departments canceled orders for them after having issues with the 40 S&W chambered guns.

I have seen some that have had their slides hard chromed, very nice looking guns.
    I'll find out whether this one is a dud on Saturday what I get it out to the range. If it turns out to be a dud, this one will be ditched for something else, most likely its Walther equivalent.

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    Several Police departments in the SF Bay Area issued them. The had a shit load of problems that S&W couldn't fix. S&W just replaced them all with the M&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow
    Several Police departments in the SF Bay Area issued them. The had a shit load of problems that S&W couldn't fix. S&W just replaced them all with the M&Ps.
    Interesting. I'll definitely be sure to put this one through the ringer before strapping it on my belt instead of a 1911 in the summer. On the plus side, there is plentyof time to test the gun out between now and when it would ostensibly be put to use as a carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Can you post pics of the two pistols side by side so we can see a comparison on how they look together?
    Not exactly a side by side, but here's a pic of my SW99QA and a stock pic of the Walther P99QA from their website. Oh, and, yes I did notice they are opposite sides.:

Ads