Close

Buying a full size 1911 clone, but which one?

This is a discussion on Buying a full size 1911 clone, but which one? within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I am an experienced shotgunner and plinker, but when it comes to handguns I'm the proto-typical "noob." I have always had a thing for the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying a full size 1911 clone, but which one?

I am an experienced shotgunner and plinker, but when it comes to handguns I'm the proto-typical "noob." I have always had a thing for the 1911 model and have recently had the itch to round out my safe with both a high powered rifle (fairly fixed on an M1a) for both hunting and range use, and a 1911 for general ***** and giggles (and possible CCW to be kept in my car for the worst possible scenario). The range of 1911 clones however has me absolutely baffled. I have a local gunsmith that can generally get me anywhere from 10% to 20% off of any gun purchase.

Price range: 7-8 hundred *maximum*

Kimber has always been a milestone of mine but they generally come in over my price budget. Even with my discount from the gunsmith, Kimber's pistols leave me in the red-zone of purchase price.

Taurus' PT1911 has gotten some very positive reviews, and comes in well below my price-point after gun-smith discount. Will I notice any great difference between this and a Kimber?

Springfield is a trusted name in the gun industry and makes a solid 1911 that in base form comes in well below my maximum purchase range. Are they a valid choice or should I look to a more "boutique" producer?

Any and all input is appreciated as I am still in the superficial stages of this purchase.

Thanks!
    Mitch

The Taurus is the best bang for the buck. They are just as good as Kimbers in almost every aspect. Just Kimber is a US made gun, so its more. The Springfield 1911 guns are also made in Brazil by IMBEL, and are only more because of the name stamped on them. Springfield has a history of this.

Just stay away from Charles Daly, Armscor, Rock Island, High Standards, and the new Firestorm 1911 guns. They are all made in the same factory in the Philippines, and have serious issues with quality control.

The Auto Ordnance guns are nice as well. Just make sure they are the ones made by Kahr, and not the earlier Numrich West Hurley concern.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

I would take a look at S&W 1911, I feel they are the best bang for the buck. Mine has 40K thru it and is still running strong. I feel Kimber is overpriced crap, they're quailty is not what it was when they were a small custom shop.

Another vote for S&W 1911. Usually top out at 700, so it seems within your budget.
    Be cruel, make someone Think.

I'll add a +1 on the Taurus. I"ve had my PT1911 for over a year now and love it. Very sweet shooter IMHO.

I will NEVER buy another firearm with the Firestorm name on it. Last I heard they went under, did somebody buy the name? This one I have is absolute garbage. Just have to find somebody I can sucker into buying it.

Firestorm never went under. They were last importing a 1911 look a like from Llama, which was not mil spec. Llama went under in 2004, but Firestorm still imported arms from Bersa until they brought back the 1911 from Armscor.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Ah, now I remember Llama having gone under. They certainly are NOT mil-spec, parts do not interchange other than mags, fit/finish is garbage... real waste of money.

Anybody want to buy mine?

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    A third vote for S&W 1911PD.

Why fuck around just do it right and get it right the first time.
    If too expensive new try lightly used for a discount.

- Janq loves the S&W 1911PD

Went and held a Taurus yesterday and it felt really well put together. Plus, with a price tag of $519 I think I've found a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by koolaideprived
    Went and held a Taurus yesterday and it felt really well put together. Plus, with a price tag of $519 I think I've found a winner.

I have a nice Llama built Firestorm 1911 for sale. I'll even include a fresh sucker for free.

PT1911 is IMHO a great piece for the price, no regrets on mine. My next 1911 might be a Kimber, but that's several guns off I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads