Close

What is CGT Night vision? Compared to 2nd gen NV?

This is a discussion on What is CGT Night vision? Compared to 2nd gen NV? within the Optics and Lights forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Looking at night vision rifle scopes and have been seeing the standard Gen 1-3 scopes, then they have a separate category called "Generation CGT" which ...

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar

What is CGT Night vision? Compared to 2nd gen NV?

Looking at night vision rifle scopes and have been seeing the standard Gen 1-3 scopes, then they have a separate category called "Generation CGT" which is a little more expensive then Gen 2... What is it?

Also, what's better? Standard NV or the digital black and white gray scale night vision? Has anyone tried both?

Regarding gen 1, it's just a waste of money huh? Doesn't gen 1 totally suck? 2nd gen is the lowest you should go in terms of rifle scopes, right?

Im a big noob when it comes to NV,.
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Gen 0 is what is worthless. It can only work with an IR illuminator, and is so bulky that its not even sold or made by anyone I know of. Its late ww2 tech.

Gen 1 is your Nam era technology that can use starlight/moonlight and an IR illumination. It is grainy and the versatility of it is limited, but the newer Gen 1 types are apparently better than the old starlight scopes in resolution and sensitivity.

Gen 2 is your late 70's tech and is a great leap forward in sensitivity, resolution, and versatility.

Gen 3 is 80's tech that was product improved in the 90's to some degree.

If all you can afford is Gen 1, its not the worst thing. But it has its limits. If you can live with them, its useable. Shotgun news tested a new Gen 1 rig a month or two ago and said it was serviceable but if you could afford a Gen 2, to got for it.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    But what is CGT? It's a different class then 1-3... It seems to be above 2, but lower then 3. Is it still the same green NV tech? Or is it the digital gray scale stuff?
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Quote Originally Posted by ATN Corporation
    ATN Corporation develops, produces and supplies the world's largest line of night vision devices. ATN delivers superior, high performance Night Vision Goggles, Night Vision Monoculars, Night Vision Binoculars, Night Vision Weapon Sights, advanced Day/Night Vision Systems.
    Based on the latest image intensifier (I2-starlight) and infrared technologies solutions ATN Night Vision Equipment offers extensive choices such as Gen 1, Gen 2+, Gen 3, ITT Generation 3 Pinnacle®, Filmless Autogated Gen 4 (G4&#174, Custom grade tube (CGT&#169, High Performance Tube (HPT&#169, White Phosphor Technology (WPT&#169 and full range of thermal imaging equipment like Thermal Scopes, Thermo Imaging Goggles and Infrared Cameras.
    It is a copyrighted marketing term, no more no less...

they now sell Gen 0/1 NV as toys; slightly pricey but less so then their cost would have been a few short years ago:
    $115 MSRP "Eyeclops Night Vision"
    I would have killed for one of these things when I was a wee lad

This topic also reminded me of the homebrew NV monocular project that dude over at sixmhz cobbled together out of mostly scrap electronics. Seemed like a fun weekend project, now if i could only find my soldering iron...

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/sixmhz/infrared.html

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus mortalis
    It is a copyrighted marketing term, no more no less...

they now sell Gen 0/1 NV as toys; slightly pricey but less so then their cost would have been a few short years ago:
    $115 MSRP "Eyeclops Night Vision"
    I would have killed for one of these things when I was a wee lad
    we got little crackin a pair for last xmas from costco = $55

he still plays with them today!

btw - when looking into the whole NV deal i was considering the ATN PS2-HPT

CGT looks like something specific to ATN night vision. They've got a page on their site that talks about their own definition of gen. 1 versus gen. 2, etc.

Just remember that every manufacturer could have different standards for those terms. Besides just the "generation", I can see a big variation in other specs between various devices. There's resolution, measured in line pairs per millimeter (lp/mm), light sensitivity, signal to noise ratio, tube lifetime, etc.

If I was seriously shopping for NV or IR gear (though I'm not), I would go to a trade show, convention or demo where I could compare the various devices side by side.

other than ATN - what companies should i look into?

CGT stands for Custom Grade Tube. Practically it means Improved version of night vision gen 2. Besides ATN I would suggest go with Armasight it's new company they do good job.

Ads