Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask - Page 2
Close

Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask

This is a discussion on Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask within the New Members forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Originally Posted by llamase What does it mean if you are stovepiping live rounds in a pistol? I think it means you are actually going ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by llamase
    What does it mean if you are stovepiping live rounds in a pistol?
    I think it means you are actually going back in time. Check your flux capacitor!

Quote Originally Posted by llamase
    What does it mean if you are stovepiping live rounds in a pistol?
    Live rounds may mean the magazine lips are worn and not holding the rounds in. or bad feed ramp

But I have yet to see a live round stovepipe

spent round stovepipe can be alot of things, tight chamber, bad ejector/extractor, short stroking bolt etc

Excellent.

About all I know about guns is when end to point at whatever you want to assplode. I'll go through the vids this weekend sometime, as I'm actually quite interested in the mechanics and physics of firearms/ballistics.

I guess I should probably look up Quebec gun laws as well, although AFAIK they're about as Draconian as you can get. Not really an issue to me as I don't ever intend to carry or even hunt, I'm more interested in target and/or clay shooting. My informal word-of-mouth research found that you can basically only transport a firearm in your vehicle if it's unloaded and inaccessible (i.e. locked in the trunk) and even then are required by law to take the absolute shortest path between your home and the range, without stopping.

-A

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Function Checking an M-1911

<Moved to it's own thread so as to not get lost or overlooked.>

- Janq

i have a question since i don't know much about pistols.
    in the case of a .45 caliber pistol, what is .45 measuring, or rather what is it measured in?
    also, in a 9mm pistol what is it measuring? the diamter of the barrel? thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by poon
    i have a question since i don't know much about pistols.
    in the case of a .45 caliber pistol, what is .45 measuring, or rather what is it measured in?
    also, in a 9mm pistol what is it measuring? the diamter of the barrel? thanks .
    Both are measurments of the diameter of the bullet. .45 is .45 of an inch, or 45% of an inch in diameter. A 9mm is just that, 9mm in diameter. In gerneral the reason you will see these two different types of measurements is because ammo types that are traditionally american will have the .40, .223, .45 measurement etc., while the eupropean ammo types will measure in mm such as 9mm, 7.62mm, 8mm etc. Think KPH vs. MPH as a speedometer reading. Sometimes the American and Euro measurements will be nearly identical such as 7.62 and .30, or .40 and 10mm, though case lenght will vary.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrr
    Both are measurments of the diameter of the bullet. .45 is .45 of an inch, or 45% of an inch in diameter. A 9mm is just that, 9mm in diameter. In gerneral the reason you will see these two different types of measurements is because ammo types that are traditionally american will have the .40, .223, .45 measurement etc., while the eupropean ammo types will measure in mm such as 9mm, 7.62mm, 8mm etc. Think KPH vs. MPH as a speedometer reading. Sometimes the American and Euro measurements will be nearly identical such as 7.62 and .30, or .40 and 10mm, though case lenght will vary.

-Chris
    thanks alot, i appreciate it! one more quick question. in most places, i believe you must be 18 to purchase a shotgun and 21 to purchase a pistol or rifle. i will be 19 this summer, is there anyway for say my dad to buy a pistol and give it to me as a gift? will it legally be in my name? what are the laws surrounding transport? alot of little questions, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by poon
    thanks alot, i appreciate it! one more quick question. in most places, i believe you must be 18 to purchase a shotgun and 21 to purchase a pistol or rifle. i will be 19 this summer, is there anyway for say my dad to buy a pistol and give it to me as a gift? will it legally be in my name? what are the laws surrounding transport? alot of little questions, thanks guys.
    Its probaly just best to wait till your 21 to get a pistol I've heard there are ways around it but don't know anybody that has done it like if your father was to give it to you as a gift but I'd assume it would just be a pain in the ass and you probally wouldn't be able to transport it. But at 18 you can buy all the shotguns and rifles you want so i guess start there.

that sounds like a good plan! now i need to work towards a .22 and some sort of pistol...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Update: Relevant Additions

* Introduction to Action Shooting (movie):
    http://www.streamingvideoencoding.co...stolsDougK.wmv

* Find A Place To Shoot:
    http://www.wheretoshoot.org

* National Shooting Sports Foundation - Safety & Education
    http://www.nssf.org/safety_idx.cfm?AoI=safety

- Janq

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads