Close

Is it legal to play paintball in Massachusetts?

This is a discussion on Is it legal to play paintball in Massachusetts? within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; If its illegal to shoot at human shaped targets?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it legal to play paintball in Massachusetts?

If its illegal to shoot at human shaped targets?

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Yes, it is legal to play paintball in MA.

Further MA General Laws does not deem air powered pneumatic projectiles and projectile devices to be deemed as 'firearms'. Which is correct as they are not firearms. I don't have my law book at hand as it's upstairs in my attache case but this is specifically referenced in the MGL as such.

But be aware that state law can lawfully be superseded in MA by city and town laws.
    For example in Springfield, MA paintball markers by city ordnance are restricted to persons age 18 and older. No person under age 18 may possess a paintball marker anywhere be it in public or at home on private lands.

Last item in regard to humanoid targets.
    In MA targets are restricted and unlawful in resembling that of a human (!). Yes, this too is a crap law featured in the MGL. This state is crazy with it's laws even so say the Attorney Generals Office as well as Law Enforcement, both of which I've had extended conversation with toward firearms and MA law.
    Silhouette type targets for specific use at public firing ranges are lawful. The human target thing is specific to public gun ranges, not private ranges nor shooting on private land. Also it is specific to 'firearms' which is not what a paintball marker is.

All of the above can be confirmed yourself by a review of the MGL.
    I hope this helps you.

- Janq played and trained toward paintball in MA for one season, and placed first in two '07 W.MA region tournaments

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    The human shaped target law is by far one of the stupidest laws in the history of firearm laws.

There are a few gun ranges here in CA that I frequent who sell human shaped targets but don't let you do headshots!

At first I thought this was to protect the hanger that holds your target, but thats not the reason at all. Even if you have the target upside down, NO HEAD SHOTS! Apparently a group of douchebags got together and sued or something, and since then headshots have not been allowed.

When I first heard that I thought the guys at the range were fucking with me. You can shoot someone in the torso/heart but NO headshots! wtf, that makes no sense at all

ITS FUCKING PAPER.

Whats next...outlawing the shooting of cute kitten pictures ?!?

I do not know first hand why this is law in MA as I have not taken the time nor had the interest to research it.

But the assistant products manager of the S&W Shooting Sports Center told me last summer during a conversation about this topic that years ago some persons were shooting at the Harvard Gun Club using printed out human images of a then sitting political person. That person by pure happenstance happened to not only be a member of that facility but also showed up on one of the same days that said block heads were shooting at printed targets of this gentleman.

Now personally if this were not a law I would be using generic non-specific to a real person type paper targets. I have shot at human depicted targets before during courses and classes and IMHO doing so is much more purposeful than generic silhouettes or using FBI 'Q' targets. These though have been during private closed events not open or even visible to the general public.

So anyway the end of his story was that upon seeing this the politically connected person was outraged.
    He talked to people and in the end a law was passed against using humanoid depicted targets while shooting at a public range area. Like many laws in MA in specific it was he says walked on through with little resistance by anyone (including gunners) and was marketed as being a "public safety" item.
    The law endures to this day...because per the story some dick heads couldn't act right on their own and had to be smacked down with a correction that as a secondary result affects everyone else in the state into perpetuity. Thanks fer nuthin'.

This subject came up because myself knowing this law was in effect in MA (not a law in VA) I had bought a package of childrens paper party plates that have cartoon stylized humanoid featured animals on the front/top of the plate. I bought them in specific because the images feature large eyes and in some cases bared teeth. I figured this would be good training material for my brain toward real world OMG that's Deebo mental conditioning.
    When I explained this to the manager who had taken up a lane next to me to shoot he agreed, although he and two then working ROs walked up to observe my 'plates' and snicker at first...until I explained my purposeful use theory to them too.

This story of MA law reasoning is unconfirmed so do not take it as being fact.
    Though my guy has not past nor present been the type to tell me bullshit. he and I discuss MA firearm law crap often and he's a deputy sheriff as well out may way. He's a straight shooter, IMHO.
    But do take from this a serious note item that how you as a gun person behave and carry yourself in public amongst the public is not looked upon by others as being singular to yourself. Not even by other shooters (!).
    Crap laws very often get though up and made as reactions to crap person(s) acting crappy.

IBserious.

- Janq

Dual wields Mosin-Nagants Swizz_dub's Avatar
    I'll keep my guns, money and freedom. You can keep the change.
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee

When I first heard that I thought the guys at the range were fucking with me. You can shoot someone in the torso/heart but NO headshots! wtf, that makes no sense at all
    How the eff is someone supposed to practice Mozambique drill if you can't do headshots. That's super lame

Swizz,

Although at the two ranges where I train no such rule is in effect, what I commonly do is place two paper plates on the target backer.
    The 8" 'chest' plate is placed at my own chest height while I place a second 4" 'face' plate on to the backer at my own face height or higher/lower in respect to the chest as I feel that day/moment.
    Last I place an orange dot sticker into the center of the face plate to signify the nose.

Done. Nobody knows what I'm doing but me, and paper plate face Deebo.
    Failure to stop drill.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    This subject came up because myself knowing this law was in effect in MA (not a law in VA) I had bought a package of childrens paper party plates that have cartoon stylized humanoid featured animals on the front/top of the plate. I bought them in specific because the images feature large eyes and in some cases bared teeth. I figured this would be good training material for my brain toward real world OMG that's Deebo mental conditioning.
    When I explained this to the manager who had taken up a lane next to me to shoot he agreed, although he and two then working ROs walked up to observe my 'plates' and snicker at first...until I explained my purposeful use theory to them too.
    IBserious.

- Janq
    Ha ha

Seriously! Just grab some construction paper and draw Bonnie, Clyde, Jesse, Wyatt and Capt Blackbeard on them!

On the same topic, a local town banned BB, pellet and PB guns here to stem a spat of vadalism. Hell, if that is the cure, they should raise taxes on BB's and paintballs!

http://journalstar.com/articles/2009...4169587506.txt

Grand Island bans BB guns
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 - 10:35:19 am CDT
    GRAND ISLAND ó Itís now illegal to carry a loaded BB gun, pellet gun or paintball gun in a car in Grand Island.

The Grand Island City Council, acting on a rash of windows being shot out in cars and homes, passed the change in city code Tuesday night.
    lulz

-chet

Why can't they just do the 'ole "arrest the kids doing the vandalism" thing...I may be old fashioned lol.

Ban on blow dart guns will be next... silent but deadly...except rarely every deadly.

Blow dart guns are illegal in various states.
    Additionally paintball markers were reclassified as a firearm by the City of Baltimore back in like '00 or so (this was highly controversial amongst the then paintball community) and as such banned from being possessed by persons under the age of 18 and could not be carried in public loaded or unloaded. They have to be cased. I kid you the hell not.
    Reason was because a handful of kids had driven around town using them to shoot up people at bus stops and such.

People act like idiots and think shit is fun and funny.
    Then bam we get laws for everyone.
    This is how the laws in place current for firearms alone came to be. See the Firearms Act of 1968 and the reason that came to be or the 'Brady Bill' as prime everlasting into perpetuity examples thanks to a minute handful of crazy people and dickheads. If you are too young to remember either then use Google.

Seriously folks do take this stuff seriously.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads