Gun Forums banner

NRA CCW instructor stops robber - Video included

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  MACHINE 
#1 ·
I found this via CombatCarry and will repost here only the information as provided there.

The story:
******* Repairs @ CombatCarry said:
"...a guy from another forum i blundered across while surfing , appairently the ccw is a .40 glock , b/g was armed with a .45lc revolver but it doesnt really show..."
Internet reported story facts:
******* Repairs @ CombatCarry said:
He is 22 years old.
He is an NRA instructor.
Says he's put 10's of thousands of rounds downrange.
He didn't produce or post the video. His roomate did.
He was using a Glock 27 with 165 grain Golden Sabers.
They overpenetrated twice and the third stuck in his shoulderbone.
He's switching to 155 grain Gold Dots.
He yelled at the guy and the Perp raised his gun. That is when he starts to duck-flinch and starts shooting.
His co-worker wants to get her CCW now and he hopes to be the one to sign her off for it.
He didn't get sued or prosecuted.
Says the Police and prosecutor were pretty supportive.
He says and i belive him the apparent nearness of the child is due to camera angle .
The news report:
Motel Clerk Shoots Would-Be Robber
by
NCB4i (Columbus, OH)
Category: News Center
August 7, 2005

Man To Be Charged With Aggravated Robbery
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police said a desk clerk shot a man who was attempting to rob an east side motel on Saturday night.
Officers said that shortly before 9:30 p.m., a man walked into the Super 8 Motel, located at 2055 Brice Rd., showed a gun and demanded money.
Police said the desk clerk on duty then shot the alleged robber, Antoine Stephens.
Stephens, 20, was transported to Grant Medical Center and was in serious condition on Sunday morning, NBC 4 reported.
Police said he would be charged with aggravated robbery.
The motel clerk's name was not released. It was unclear as to whether he would be charged.
Anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the Columbus police detective bureau at (614) 645-4624. Anonymous calls can be made to Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at (614) 645-8477
The video albeit with a really awful music dub:
The story and post event commentary as told by the shooter himself:
Ramsey said:
My Justified shooting expieriance.
I put this in the Home defense section because this seemed like the most appropriate section. I was involved in a shooting at my work at a Super 8 motel off brice rd in Columbus Oh. This happend on the sixth of last month. I didn't want to post anything untill things had cooled down and I got a feel for what the law enforcement officals thought. I am pleased to say that the Columbus Police department, were very professional about the whole situation, and even when they had to do there usual routine, never made me feel like a criminal, and they kept me well hidden from the media. I was expecting the worst from the police from all the negative things I've heard people say happen to them after a shooting, so I was very relieved. The officers that I was with did their best to make sure that I was ok, and made me as comfortable as they could. Anyway, I'd like to address some of the things that I learned from this confrontation, and also re-address some things that most of us in the ccw world already know.

A confrontation will be extremely quick and extremely violent: I teach this in my concealed carry class, but never really thought about it. From the time that the Robber walked in and pulled his gun, to the point where he was lying on the pavement was 13 seconds. The shooting portion from when my gun cleared the holster to him on the ground was under 3 seconds (I got these times from the time recorder on the security camera video)

You must remain alert, ALWAYS: I was unprepared for this, I must admit. When he walked into the lobby, I tottaly didn't even notice him. I was busy checking a guest in on my computer that I didn't even look up. It wasn't untill the other desk clerk started acting frantic, and the kid came behind the counter that I looked up and saw him wearing a mask and a gun in his hands.

Holster options: I now know that I don't want any type of retention strap on my firearm. I had one during this incident and realise had I not had the other desk clerk there to conceal my actions of drawing, I don't think I would have been quick enough. When I practice drawing, I always practice undoing the strap at the same time to make it quick, but you MAY loose your fine motor skills, which makes it just a little more difficult, especially for me because I was using a Glock 27, which is a little difficult to get a grip on to begin with, because I can't use my back fingers on it because it is so small. I was using a cheapie nylon, but will now be upgrading to a Galco retention style. In my opinion, just pay the money to get a good holster. Also, I know for sure that an ankle rig would have been almost useless. I think they are good for just BUGs.

Point shooting: As I stated before, everything happend so fast. I didn't use the sights. I used muscle memmory and point shooting. I believe it is imperitive to get yourself trained to shoot quickly(double and triple tap drills)and to get your mucles used to your relative point of aim. More than likely you will never use your sights. It will all be point shooting.

Never say anything: You will probably want to talk about this expieriance, especially with the police. DON'T DO IT!! Anything you have to say right after the shooting you will have to say the next day. No matter how cool calm and collected you think you will be or feel, you still need to calm down. I didn't realise I was wound so tight, untill I loosened up. Anything you have to say, can come through a lawyer. I gave no statement that night, and looked for a lawyer the next day just in case. I had other witnesses who gave statements, so I never even needed to give one, and haven't yet. Why bother if it's not needed. It could only hurt you to give a statement that night, waiting to give a statement through a lawyer never hurt anybody.

These are just some things I thought I should share. I may post a few more things later, but for right now this is it. If you would like to read a little more about the shooting, you can yahoo search it. Type in "shooting at 2055 brice rd" or you can look it up on the civialian self defense blog.

Thanks, and stay safe, Ramsey.

http://www.packing.org/community/general/listview/2149/#chatitem_18999
Be safe out there folks.

- Janq

#2 ·
Man oh man...

Thank God we live in a country that recognizes the right to defend one's self and others from scumbags [imagine what happens when this types-a-shit goes on in Not-So-Great-Anymore-Britain or even Commiefornia/Taxachusetts/etc]... Did any of you happen to read the comments underneath the video? Some people out there really just don't get it, do they?

Oh, and yeah of course the first thing I did was turn down that racket they had playing in the background :shock:

Needless to say, the perp in this case won't be quite so eager to pull a robbery like that in the future [and if I'm wrong about that, he's a shoe-in for the Darwin Award!] and all the armchair quarterbacking the dipshits in the comments section made amounts to nada because they were NOT there and probably never had to face that kind of situation in their lives... I hope that more people get their concealed carry permits, because I have absolutely zero love for armed robbers like the son of a bitch that did this robbery -With a WOMAN AND CHILD present, even!-

The clerk in the video gets two thumbs up for his heroic actions, and if the Brady Bunch doesn't like it I have a suggestion or two for where they can shove their opinions... Of course, they would have to remove their heads first!

Filthy Rich :twisted:

#3 ·
Personally, I think that he was shooting a little too close to that child. It may have just been the camera angle, but it looked pretty damn close. Not saying that the shot wasn't justified, but that just seemed like pisspoor situational awareness by the time he was actually pulling the trigger..

#4 ·
Yea I cringed a little when I saw him open fire with the child looking to be only a couple feet left of the muzzle.

Awsome to see the PD supportive of him and that they kept him clear of the media. I was only able to find 1 news article about it and the police wouldn't give his name up to the press.

#7 ·
Ben said:
Awsome to see the PD supportive of him and that they kept him clear of the media. I was only able to find 1 news article about it and the police wouldn't give his name up to the press.
Thats becuase the media is antigun and dosen't like to print articles on properly trained people that put have to use thier guns for self defense especially when then police are on the good guys side. I bet if the robber shot some one it would have been all over the media in that area saying look how bad guns are. The media only tells you what they want you to hear and waht they agree with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.