Close

Driving cross country with a gun?

This is a discussion on Driving cross country with a gun? within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Is this possible? I understand a pistol is out of the question, but say a shotgun? My friend is moving to California at the end ...

Driving cross country with a gun?

Is this possible? I understand a pistol is out of the question, but say a shotgun? My friend is moving to California at the end of July and I am driving out there with him. We are considering bringing my Mossberg 500 for protection. Is that a no no?

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    yikes -

if you already have planned your route and know exactly what states you will be traveling through you will need to do a little research

not to mention in what condition do you plan on the mossy to be in?

you might want to start here: http://www.packing.org/

I think we are going to take a southern route, I figure they might be a little more gun friendly...

I assume the shotgun would have to have a lock on it while traveling.

I'll check packing.org

Quote Originally Posted by probably
    I think we are going to take a southern route, I figure they might be a little more gun friendly...

I assume the shotgun would have to have a lock on it while traveling.

I'll check packing.org

just an fyi -

when i traveled cross country from the east coast to AZ (both times)

i had my pistol - in a locked gun case, in my lugage - which was in the back of the locked u-haul

i only retrieved the weapon once we had secured a room for the night

on the road it stayed locked, unloaded and out of reach

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    You need to reference the following...

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

Click here to see a letter from the U.S. Justice Department to Congressman Don Young clarifying federal firearms transport regulations and information about certain states that do not adhere to federal law. (You will need Adobe Acrobat to view this file.)

CARRYING ON OR ABOUT THE PERSON

It must be stressed that as soon as any firearm (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) is carried on or about the person, or placed where it is readily accessible in a vehicle, state and local firearms laws regarding carrying apply. If you seek to transport firearms in such a manner, it is advisable that you determine what the law is by contacting the Attorney General's office in each state through which you may travel or by reviewing a NRA/ILA State Firearms Law Digest or the Concealed Carry Reciprocity guide and also available by calling NRA/ILA at 800-392-8683. You should determine whether a permit is needed and how to obtain one if available. While many states require a permit for this type of carrying, most will not issue such permits to nonresidents, and others prohibit such carrying altogether.

TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk...

JURISDICTIONS WITH SPECIAL RULES

CALIFORNIA--Caution - before entering the state, a California permit and registration may be required for specific semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic pistols, shotguns, and any other firearm that is considered an "assault weapon." Contact the California Dept. of Justice in Sacramento for additional information at (916)263-4887, or at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/...
    The full detail with multiple secondary links can be found at; http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

- Janq

If you ccw in your state you might be able to do it easily a lot of southern states have big ccw reciprocity areas that would allow you to carry ccw the whole way.

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

Wow Thanks guys!

It seems as though I could even carry a pistol with me as long as it's unloaded and locked up. Hell I could even CCW in some states...Cool.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    This is why I love this site. ^^

You have a legitamate question, concern,or are jammed up and boom people with real answers come in to help.
    Had this same thread been posed in OT as an 'OT Gun Nuts' thread and I can absolutely guarantee you it would be rife with crap ass comments from haters, idiots, and persons who would imply that you are just a person looking for trouble in order to justify your desire & concern.

Gunatics FTW!

- Janq

great points janq

i didnt want to assume that the laws have not changed since 1998

Ads