Close

Huckabee's son arrested with handgun

This is a discussion on Huckabee's son arrested with handgun within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; As reported via Yahoo News: Huckabee's son arrested with handgun By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer Thu Apr 26, 10:41 PM ET LITTLE ROCK, Ark. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Exclamation Huckabee's son arrested with handgun

As reported via Yahoo News:

Huckabee's son arrested with handgun

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer Thu Apr 26, 10:41 PM ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - David Huckabee, a son of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, was arrested at an Arkansas airport Thursday after a federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

AP - Thu Apr 26, 3:32 PM ET
    In this booking photo released by the Pulaski County Sheriff's office, David Huckabee, 26, a son of former Arkansas Gov, and Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, is shown in Little Rock, Ark., Thursday, April 26, 2007.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

Huckabee, 26, later pleaded guilty in Little Rock District Court after being charged with a misdemeanor count of possessing a weapon in a prohibited place.

"It was a silly mistake," Huckabee told reporters as he left the Pulaski County Jail. When asked whether it would affect his father's presidential campaign, Huckabee responded, "It shouldn't."

District Judge Lee Munson gave Huckabee a one-year suspended jail sentence and ordered him into 10 days of community service which Huckabee can avoid by paying $100. Huckabee will be on probation for a year. Fines and costs totaled $855.

The son of the former Arkansas governor held a concealed weapons permit at the time of the incident but state police are taking steps to revoke it. The elder Huckabee, who said last week that Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho perhaps could have been stopped if a teacher or student had also been armed, also has a concealed weapons permit.

"My wife and I love our son. What he did was irresponsible but not intentional," Mike Huckabee said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Nugent said David Huckabee had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in his black carry-on bag. Eight live rounds were in the gun none in the chamber and a nine-round clip was also in the bag. The weapon and ammunition were detained by Little Rock police while David Huckabee's gun permit was seized and given to the Arkansas State Police.

Mike Huckabee said his son grabbed the bag on the way to the airport and didn't realize the gun was inside.

"It's one of those stupid things," Mike Huckabee said. "He knows better."

The story can be found at; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/..._yCZmVz7Vh24cA

- Janq

Lesson Learned: Check your bags _before_ arriving at the airport for gear and do not store firearms in bags and such that are not secured.
    As a personal note last week I was packing my bags for a flight and I grabbed my softsided briefcase which has a liner for use as a laptop carrier. I also use this bag on ocassion to carry my gear when I go to the range. I haven't used it as such since last summer but I decided to check it just to be sure. It's a large bag and has a hundred little pockets but I checked evry one and what did I find? One spent .45 ACP casing! Now imagine the drama I'd have had with TSA if I had not checked by bag prior. :\

Great, another pro gun presidential candidate with something the dems can use aginst him...

Not that this anything to do with this....but wow that guy looks older than 26...I would have guessed mid 30's

Yeah he pretty much looks like shit for his age.

- Janq

you guys are like gossiping house wives

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    fIt's a large bag and has a hundred little pockets but I checked evry one and what did I find? One spent .45 ACP casing! Now imagine the drama I'd have had with TSA if I had not checked by bag prior. :\
    Having transported guns, ammo, and spent casings, I wouldn't be surprised if your bag doesn't come up hot on a sniffer machine or in a random search wipedown. You might want to leave that bag at home, casing or not.

I had my range bag searched because the sniffer detected gunpowder in it.

Also, after 9-11 I had a .357mag round in my suitcase and it went all the way from Ga to Colorado and back in the outside pocket of my carry on, Opened my outside pocket when I got home and found one round of magsafe..

ALWAYS check your bags before you leave..

I sware someone kicked his ass with the ugly stick... 26 wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541
    Having transported guns, ammo, and spent casings, I wouldn't be surprised if your bag doesn't come up hot on a sniffer machine or in a random search wipedown. You might want to leave that bag at home, casing or not.
    Good point.

- Janq

I have bags and boxes dedicated to carrying guns -- all that goes in them is firearms or related items (ammo, targets, extra magazines, gun cleaning stuff). I thought this was relatively wide practice, but perhaps I'm wrong.

and let me ditto the '26?'. I'm 36 and that dude looks older than me by a mile.

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    God damn, that dude DID get hit by the ugly stick!

Also, how the f' do you forget your pistol in your backpack at an airport!? Was he high? (yeah, sorry for bumping this, just bugged me enough to respond)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads